Student Internship Insurance

Student Internship Insurance has been discontinued per June 1, 2022.

If you are taking a study abroad program, your Home Contents and Travel Insurance policies will provide the necessary coverage.

Read more about studying abroad and insurance

If you already have one, you can see the coverage here.

The scheme or diagram is an illustration, an extraction from the insurance terms and conditions. Trygs' claim department calculates compensation according to our insurance terms and conditions.

Student Internship Insurance

Student Internship Insurance provides worldwide coverage.

The insurance offers coverage in the event of illness or injury.

The insurance covers repatriation to Denmark in the event of illness or injury.

The insurance covers the cost of repatriation if a close relative suddenly is taken ill.

This insurance enables someone from home to join you or your co-insured travel companion to stay with you if you are ill.

The insurance covers primary necessity goods such as clothing and hygiene articles if your baggage is delayed more than five hours.

This insurance covers home content items up to 30,000 DKK.

Liability covers injury or damage compensation claims made against you by a third party.

This coverage ofres legal assistance in a disputed settlement over a case. For instance, those legal expenses related to a trial where the disputed liability to this case needs to be settled.

What does Student Internship Insurance not cover?

Please be aware that the insurance does not cover everything: 

Psychiatric treatment and substance abuse Insurance does not cover psychiatric treatment and drug or alcohol abuse. However, the insurance covers sequelae of suicide attempts.
Prescription drugs The insurance does not cover prescription drugs unless you fall ill or suffer an injury during the program.

Your Student Internship insurance is only valid if you are a student member of IDA and you have an IDA Insurance Travel Insurance that covers Worldwide because a student internship insurance policy only works as an extension.

Your holidays, before or after your program, must not exceed 1/3 of the total period.

Need more answers?

When you take out Student Internship Insurance, the host university will probably require documentation to certify your insurance coverage. You can get a form from the department at that university. It is called a Waiver, and we can fill it out for you.

Has your question been answered?

You will receive the following documents:

  • Insurance certificate, in Danish, confirming that you bought the insurance. You will not receive an insurance policy (contract), as is the case with other types of insurance. The certificate supplements your Travel Insurance with us.
  • Insurance coverage confirmation in English.
  • An invoice by email, you cannot use NETS to pay for it. It may seem possible when you buy it, but that is not the case.
Has your question been answered?

As you can see in the form above, the insurance covers your items up to DKK50,000 against fire, water, and theft during the period you selected.

The insurance also covers personal liability, that is, if you accidentally hurt people or damage their things.

Are you bringing things that exceed the sum?

  • If you have home contents insurance with us and you study, we cover the items you carry with you up to DKK50,000 for up to 6 months from the day you leave Denmark. We indicate it on your insurance policy, letting you know you have insurance coverage.
  • If you do not have it with us, student internship insurance covers the stuff you bring on your study program up to DKK50,000. The insurance covers your things during the period you selected on your insurance quote.

Please, write to us here.

Has your question been answered?

Not everyone can buy it. There are two conditions:

  • IDA membership is required to take it out.
  • The insurance only covers unpaid study programs, exchange, and internships.

If you are a PhD student, you cannot take out this insurance because you get paid.

If your trip is of another nature - e.g., backpacking - you cannot buy the insurance either. If this is your project, we recommend that you prolongate your Travel Insurance. Read more about how long your travel insurance covers and how to extend it.

Has your question been answered?