Road trip holidays abroad: How insurance covers you

Make sure to have the right insurance coverage and documents when you drive your car outside of Denmark on holiday.

For instance, you need comprehensive and third-party liability for a road trip abroad.

Both things are part of IDA Car Insurance.

Please remember home contents and travel insurance with cancellation coverage. Both policies provide security during your holiday.

Follow this checklist and come to grips with insurance, documents, and road trip preparations.

These are the documents you need on your car holiday

In addition to your passport, debit card/money, and the blue EU health insurance card, these are the documents you should carry with you on your road trip:

  • Driver licence of all drivers
  • Original registration certificate
  • DK sticker if you do not have an EU number plate
  • The DFIM international claim form. It can indicate all the information you need in case of an accident.
  • Motorway stickers for toll roads and an environmental sticker if you drive in a European country with regulated zones.
  • Read about motorway and environmental stickers on

If you are driving outside Europe, you should also remember:

Do I need to bring the red card on a road trip?

Comprehensive coverage includes rescue, which guarantees roadside assistance abroad if your car breaks down or completely stops. 

Previously, you had to bring the red card as proof of roadside assistance - you no longer need to. However, you can still download and print the red card via the Tryg on Travel app.

Read more about Tryg Roadside Assistance Europe

Read more about the Tryg on Travel app

Get roadside assistance on your road trip

If you have problems with your car while travelling, contact Tryg Road Assistance Europe on +45 70 11 20 00.

You can also use the Tryg on Travel app (not the SOS Red Card app).

You can print the terms and conditions of Tryg Road Assistance Europe, including the telephone number of Tryg Road Assistance Europe.

Print the conditions for Tryg Roadside Assistance in Europe

Remember the green card when travelling by car outside the European Union

The green card guarantees third-party liability.

You must bring it to the following countries outside the EU:

  • Albania*
  • Azerbaijan
  • Macedonia
  • Belarus
  • Iran
  • Israel
  • Morocco
  • Moldova
  • Russia
  • United Kingdom
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine

* Kosovo does not accept the Green Card. You will have to buy liability insurance at the border. If you do not, you risk detention if you are involved in a road accident.

You need to order the green card on My Page in advance of your road trip holiday, as it can take up to three weeks before you get it. 

Once we have received the card, we will send it by post.

We cannot send it by email because you must bring the original document.

Remember travel insurance with cancellation coverage

Travel insurance covers expenses if you or your family need medical attention, transport home, or evacuation if necessary, during your trips, such as epidemics, war, or terrorism.

Read more about travel insurance

Cancellation covers you if you need to cancel your trip due to acute illness, death, or other unforeseen situation, or if terrorism, natural disasters, or epidemics occur in your place of destination.

Read more about cancellation

Home contents insurance covers theft on holiday and includes liability insurance to cover you if you cause damage to other people's belongings on holiday.

Read more about home contents insurance

Accident insurance covers you if you are injured and subsequently have a permanent disability while on holiday.

Read more about accident insurance

Prepare for your road trip holiday

To have a good holiday without unpleasant surprises, it is a good idea to: