Road trip holidays abroad: How insurance covers you
Make sure to have the right insurance coverage and documents when you drive your car outside of Denmark on holiday.
For instance, you need comprehensive and third-party liability for a road trip abroad.
Both things are part of IDA Car Insurance.
Please remember home contents and travel insurance with cancellation coverage. Both policies provide security during your holiday.
Follow this checklist and come to grips with insurance, documents, and road trip preparations.
These are the documents you need on your car holiday
In addition to your passport, debit card/money, and the blue EU health insurance card, these are the documents you should carry with you on your road trip:
- Driver licence of all drivers
- Original registration certificate
- DK sticker if you do not have an EU number plate
- The DFIM international claim form. It can indicate all the information you need in case of an accident.
- Motorway stickers for toll roads and an environmental sticker if you drive in a European country with regulated zones.
- Read about motorway and environmental stickers on fdm.dk
If you are driving outside Europe, you should also remember:
- International driving licence.
- International driving certificate.
- Order an international driving certificate at skat.dk
- The green card is your proof that you have third-party liability.
Do I need to bring the red card on a road trip?
Comprehensive coverage includes rescue, which guarantees roadside assistance abroad if your car breaks down or completely stops.
Previously, you had to bring the red card as proof of roadside assistance - you no longer need to. However, you can still download and print the red card via the Tryg on Travel app.
Get roadside assistance on your road trip
If you have problems with your car while travelling, contact Tryg Road Assistance Europe on +45 70 11 20 00.
You can also use the Tryg on Travel app (not the SOS Red Card app).
You can print the terms and conditions of Tryg Road Assistance Europe, including the telephone number of Tryg Road Assistance Europe.
Remember the green card when travelling by car outside the European Union
The green card guarantees third-party liability.
You must bring it to the following countries outside the EU:
- United Kingdom
* Kosovo does not accept the Green Card. You will have to buy liability insurance at the border. If you do not, you risk detention if you are involved in a road accident.
You need to order the green card on My Page in advance of your road trip holiday, as it can take up to three weeks before you get it.
Once we have received the card, we will send it by post.
We cannot send it by email because you must bring the original document.
Remember travel insurance with cancellation coverage
Travel insurance covers expenses if you or your family need medical attention, transport home, or evacuation if necessary, during your trips, such as epidemics, war, or terrorism.
Cancellation covers you if you need to cancel your trip due to acute illness, death, or other unforeseen situation, or if terrorism, natural disasters, or epidemics occur in your place of destination.
Home contents insurance covers theft on holiday and includes liability insurance to cover you if you cause damage to other people's belongings on holiday.
Accident insurance covers you if you are injured and subsequently have a permanent disability while on holiday.
Prepare for your road trip holiday
To have a good holiday without unpleasant surprises, it is a good idea to:
- Check the condition of your car before you go on holiday.
Get tips on getting your car ready for your road trip at fdm.dk
- Find out if there are special requirements for the car and equipment, such as safety vests, warning strips, winter tyres, and car seats, where you are travelling.
Read about safety equipment requirements for your road trip holiday at fdm.dk
- Learn more about the traffic rules in the country you plan to visit. Regulation and traffic tickets differ.
Read more about driving rules abroad at fdm.dk