I'm buying a new car
Please remember to buy car insurance when you buy a new car. We have collected a few good tips tailored just for you as a car owner.
Buying from a car dealership or a private seller?
All cars must be registered or re-registered. How depends on whether you bought the car privately, through a dealer or whether it is a used car without license plates.
I bought the car privately
- Please re-register the car to your name within 21 days of the date of sale.
- You re-register your car directly on the SKAT website.
- Remember to have your NemID and the vehicle registration certificate ready and choose Tryg as your insurance company.
I bought my car through a dealer
- If you buy a car from a dealer, they will make sure to register the car in your name.
- You must ensure that the dealer indicates Tryg as your choice as insurance company. In addition, you should be aware if the dealer cancels the existing vehicle registration or re-registers the car in your name within 21 days from the date of sale.
- Some dealers say they do everything in terms of insurance, but this is not always the case.
- Please make sure you buy a new insurance at all times.
When you purchase the insurance, consider whether you only need the statutory liability insurance or whether you want to supplement one or more optional coverings - for example, box insurance or road assistance.
I bought a used car without license plates
- License plates attaches to the new car. You can buy them from a license plate operator (retailer).
- Then you must re-register the car to your name within 21 days from the date of sale.
- You must re-register your car on SKAT's website. Remember to have your NemID and car registration certificate ready and choose Tryg as your insurance company.
- Remember to calculate a new quote. Once you have bought a new car, you must also get a new insurance.
I rent my car
We also insure private leasing cars. You are insured under the same conditions as if you were the owner the car. However, the leasing company is the proper owner of the car.
What rules apply to owner/user?
When you buy a car insurance, we need to know who uses the car. The owner of the car does not have to be the one registered as a car user. For instance, we can register your cohabitant as a permanent user of the car and you as an owner. It is possible to register more users if they live in the same household as you.
Please inform us about the owner/user(s) of the car when you draw the insurance. If changes occur afterwards, just contact us and we will correct the policy according to the new conditions.