Defect and accident insurance
Have you dropped your new cell phone or did your kid put his jam sandwich into the DVD player?
With a Defect and accident insurance you do not have to decide whether or not to buy an additional and expensive insurance every time you go shopping.
- The Defect and accident insurance is a supplementary coverage of the home contents insurance.
- The Defect and accident insurance covers both defects and sudden accidents.
- If you wish to purchase our Defect and accident insurance, the Home contents insurance is a must.
The insurance covers
About the Danish Sale of Goods Act
The Danish Sale of Goods Act regulates the sale of all goods except real property. Therefore, it also regulates the sale of electric appliances, such as domestic appliances, computers, photo equipment, and more.
2-year warranty period
The warranty period on goods is 2 years. This means that if the product breaks within 2 years after the purchase, you as a consumer can file a complaint with the place of purchase.
If the product breaks the day after the warranty period expires, you have no grounds for complaint unless you are covered by a warranty lasting more than the 2 years.
According to the Danish Sale of Goods Act the consumer has to claim damages within a reasonable timeframe after the discovery of the damages.
If you have an additional insurance covering more than 2 years from the date of purchase, you have to report the damages after the 2 years to the insurance company. For example, if your laptop gets a functional defect after 2 ½ years.
Another important aspect of the Danish Sale of Goods Act is the rules about who is obligated to prove that the product was defective at the time of purchase if, e.g., in case of functional defect.
You must react quickly
Within 6 months from consumer’s receipt of product: The assumption here is that the product was defective at delivery. This also means that the seller has to prove that the consumer has handled the product incorrectly if he does not want to acknowledge the defect.
More than 6 months after and within 2 years from consumer’s receipt of the product: Here the consumer has to prove that the seller is accountable for the defect. The circumstances in the particular cases will determine how much is required for the consumer to prove liability.
What does internal damages mean?
Examples of internal damages
- The TV or the computer suddenly stops working.
- The washing machine keeps washing nonstop.
The defect and accident insurance covers all internal damages to electronic appliances legally sold and used in Denmark. These are defects occurring with no apparent explanation.
The defect and accident insurance covers functional defects to your electronic appliances bought as new for 4 years from the date of purchase.
If you buy a used electronic device, it is covered from the date you obtain it and up to 4 years from the original date of purchase. Any damage must be ascertained and claimed within this 4-year period. Remember, there is a deductible of DKK 500 per claim
What does sudden damage mean?
Examples of sudden damages
- You spill red wine and ruin your couch.
- You accidentally push the computer on the floor and break it.
- You spill coffee in the keyboard on your laptop causing it to breakdown.
- You trip on the rug losing your glasses and break them.
- You hit an expensive lamp with the vacuum cleaner and break the glass
- You drop your digital camera on your holiday and break it.pill red wine and ruin your couch.
A sudden accident is an accident due an external and immediate cause. The cause and effect must occur at the same time. Notice, there is a deductible of DKK 1,000 per claim.
The insurance covers sudden damages to almost all private home contents.
How many claims can I file?
You buy insurance to protect you and your belongings, but when an accident happens, it is not always in your interest to file a claim. If you file several times, for instance, that you dropped your smartphone in the toilet, this could actually have a direct impact on your rates. Think about it before you file a claim and consider whether the item is worthy before, you contact your insurance company. Is it worthy to file a claim for a microwave to 700 DKK? Would it not be better to file a claim in case of a more valuable item?
Please remember that before you file a claim you have a deductible of 500 DKK for malfunctioning and 1000 DKK for sudden failure.
Uncovered claims by this coverage?
We have collected several claim’s events that are not covered by defect and accident insurance:
- Damage on garden motorised tools, electric scooters and outdoor power equipment.
- Damage such as scratches, scrapes and shelling or any other esthetic damage, color for example.
- Damage due to wear and tear, lack of maintenance, malpractice, fallacy, poor reparation or any other damage related to it.
- Software malfunction, and software and data drop, among other things, including defective pixel.
- Damage covered by a guarantee, service agreement or the seller’s obligations according to law.
- Intentional damage or obvious negligence.
- Damage caused by animals.
- Smoke damage from a fireplace or combustion installation set up without following legal rules and instructions, oil lamp, pot or any other alike source.
- Malfunctioning bought and used equipment.