Building inurance and coverage

Does the insurance cover building materials on my property? Are solar panels covered by building insurance? Find the answers to your questions here.

Find the answer to

A solar energy system is covered by your Building Insurance on the same terms as other building components. Solar panels must be included on your policy before there is cover. Therefore, it is crucial that you pick this cover when you take out IDA’s Building Insurance or let us know by contacting us if you later get it installed.

Contact us

Which conditions must be met?
Your solar energy system is covered if the plant is either mounted on your house or installed on the ground on molded concrete or pressure-impregnated wood.

Has your question been answered?

Yes, it is part of your basic coverage, so legal assistance is included. Legal assistance covers any expenses such hiring a lawyer in connection with disputes concerning, for example, private litigation, house sales, construction  and building extension.

Has your question been answered?

Yes, it is included, you only need to take out basic coverage. Homeowner liability covers if you face a lawsuit for damages and will be held legally responsible for damage. It could be, for example, if a roof tile falls from your house and strikes a pedestrian passing by.

Has your question been answered?

You need to pick the option ‘More Security’, which includes construction materials on your property. Materials are protected against theft, vandalism and sudden damage before installation, but  for a period of up to three months from the date of delivery.

The following materials are covered outdoors:

  • Roofing
  • Brick
  • Insulation
  • Concrete
  • Wood for construction - including wood rafters and battens

Other materials are covered when securely locked in a container, building, garage or outhouse. For example, it may be:

  • Flooring
  • Kitchen fixtures
  • Plumbing fixtures
  • Major appliances (fridge etc.)
  • Windows and doors

Construction insurance
If you are building a new house, you should always consider whether you need a construction insurance. 

Read more about construction insurance

Has your question been answered?

The primary difference is that building insurance covers damage occurred after taking over the house. For example, if your house has been damaged by storm or heavy rain, then building insurance covers. Indemnity insurance, on the other hand, covers existing damage, already present before you took it over. For example, there may be illegal plumbing or electrical installations.

Has your question been answered?

Yes, if you have taken out cosmetic difference as additional option.

How does Cosmetic difference work?
If you have had a pipe damage – e.g. in the floor of the bathroom, you can get compensation for the replacement the tiles that were removed during the repair of the hidden pipe (Hidden Pipes and Cable Damage).

If it is not possible to get exactly the same tiles, you can get 50 % of the expenses if you decide to replace the entire floor. The cover applies to damage to the toilet/bathroom, scullery and open kitchen/dining room.

Has your question been answered?

If you supplement your building Insurance with an optional basic coverage, then water damage is covered in a qualified claim  - read more about it under storm damage etc., building insurance.

If you wish a greater cover, please choose extended water damage. Your house will be protected against water damage in case of:

  • Sudden water damage – e.g. water flow into the building foundation, basement floor and/or walls or roof constructions
  • Rising groundwater or sewage
  • Snow drift where there is no access to the roof and ceiling
  • Leak from visible installations – e.g. water from radiators or aquariums.


Has your question been answered?