Travel insurance

It is important to remember that the EHIC does not fully cover the cost of your medical treatment and will not entitle you to free or low cost private treatment. It will also not cover the cost of urgent repatriation to DK, so it is always wise to have a good Travel insurance policy in place.

Free App

Free App

Free travel app, where you can save your travel documents, find nearest police station or nearest pharmacy.

Extreme sports are always included

Extreme sports are always included

You are insured if you are into adrenaline-pumping activities and do not hesitate with river rafting or parachuting.

Help is always near

Help is always near

You can always call Tryg Alarm at 44 68 82 00 - 24 hours a day, year round and wherever you are in the world.

It is important to be covered by insurance when you take a trip, because sudden injury or illness can otherwise be both expensive and inconvenient. If you have to travel in the area covered by the blue European Health Insurance Card, then you are covered on an equal footing with the citizens of the country in which you are travelling. The Danish yellow social security card cannot be used as travel health insurance outside of Denmark, the Faeroe Islands and Greenland.

Have you purchased or changed your insurance before September 3, 2018?

IDA’s Travel insurance have been improved. If you purchased the insurance before September 3rd 2018, you are covered by terms other than those you can see here.

See how your travel insurance covers (if purchased before September 3rd).

The insurance covers

The forms are indicative and are an extract from the insurance terms and conditions. Any compensation will be calculated according to the rules in the insurance terms and conditions.

Travel insurance

The Travel insurance for Europe covers the countries covered by the blue European Health Insurance Card. Alternatively you can choose worldwide coverage.



The insurance covers trips lasting up to 60 days. In the FAQ section, you can read what you should do if you plan to travel more than 60 days. 

Remember to bring your Blue EU Health Insurance Card if your are heading to one EU / EEA country.

Trips lasting up to 60 days.

Trips lasting up to 60 days.

The insurance can cover your household, even if your spouse and children travel without you being the policyholder.

The household


The insurance covers if you get sick or injure on your trip and need treatment, medicine, a doctor or hospital.

You are entitled to receive treatment at a private hospital if:

  • The doctor estimates that treatment at a public hospital is insufficient
  • If a private hospital is the only option
  • When we consider that the nearest public hospital is too far away

You are covered if you have to interrupt your vacation and go home due to a family member in Denmark has become seriously ill, injuried or is dead.

You are also covered if you need to get home because of one of the following reasons:

  • Fire, explosion or flood
  • Home or business burglary (only if notified to the police)


You can be transported to a hospital or home in case of illness, injury and death during your holidays. Please be aware that transportation home must previously be approved by our doctor.

I you get seriously ill or injured, you can get help from home. This means that the escort from home can stay with you, for instance, during hospitalization.

How you can get a patient escort:

  • All insured travelling companions can escort you, unless you wish somebody else from home.
  • You can get one, even if your fellow traveler also needs one.
  • A covered travelling companion can apply for a call of an escort if you do not call for two patient escorts from home.

You are insured up to a radius of 50 km to search from the place you last seen. You are also entitled to be rescued once you have been located.

If an event occurs on your travel requiring evacuation and retention, you are then covered in the following situations:

  • War or prelude to war
  • Epidemics
  • Events that may be considered terrorism or as an imminent threat to terrorism

Evacuation and transport home to Denmark is relevant when the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Denmark recommends evacuation.

You get refund for your expenses concerning crisis counseling at both your travel destination and at your return home.

You are covered if your luggage is delayed for more than five hours.

You are covered if you participate in activities that can be categorized as Extreme sports. If you are in doubt about your specific situation, please contact us.

For instance, you can get coverage during the following activities:

  • Climbing
  • Boxing
  • Diving
  • Parachuting
  • Paragliding
  • Kitesurfing
  • River rafting

See the list of all activities categorized as Extreme sports.


In case of unexpected events you are financially secured with an extended travel insurance. In case of late attendance, delayed transportation and compensation for damage to the rented holiday accommodation.

The basic coverage does not cover if you are going on a ski holiday. Supplement for skiing covers the possibility of trip compensation, ruined travel days or if you get injured while skiing or snowboarding.

The option covers, for instance, if you get a permanent disability, dental trauma, suffer a violent assault or die. Please note that this option only covers abroad. As an alternative, you should consider taking out an accident insurance, which offers you coverage both in Denmark and abroad.

You are covered if you have to cancel your trip due to illness or injure right before your trip. You can also cancel your trip if there is war or terror in the country you are visiting, or if you get sacked from work, you are getting divorce or simply have to reschedule your exams during your trip. Please note that Cancellation does not cover if you purchased this optional covering less than 12 days before traveling.

Read more about cancellation insurance